Friday, May 20, 2011

Was December Really 5 Months Ago?

The details of Christmas have become quite fuzzy. (Darn that aging brain of mine!) If you're interested in a different perspective (or fresher recounting) of our Christmastime fun, you should check out my sister-in-law Erin's blog. Unlike me, she posted her memories within a month of the actual holiday.

We ended up with a bunch of interesting faces and no stellar poses when we tried to get a cute picture for our card. My favorite "can't-use-that-shot-either" was the one where Ally's throwing up gang signs. We also ended up with a CTR ("Choose the Right") ornament that Cora stole from the tree. (She's already not making very good choices.) I'm pretty sure it's still down in our basement somewhere 'cause we could never remember to take it back to church with us on Sundays.


The day before Christmas, my brother Mark and his family drove out from Seattle. They brought their three children and my parents (who had flown out from PA) along with them. Ally excitedly anticipated their arrival. The whole week beforehand she'd remind me that "4 plus 5 plus 2 equals 11 people" and "six adults and five children equals 11 people." Good thing Daddy bought us such a big house!


The kids reenacted the Christmas story. Ally quickly volunteered to be Mary since she's so good at popping out babies. Chris read the story from Luke chapter 2 while a very-pregnant Ally rode into Bethlehem on donkey Mark's back. Bryce was the ever-diligent Joseph, making sure she didn't fall off. Aubree played an angel, and Cora crawled around on the floor like a lamb.

Here's some never-before-seen footage of Jesus' birth.


Ally and Cora in their jammies on Christmas morning:
Most of us slept in Christmas morning. When they did wake up, I had the kids wait behind a baby gate so they could all run out into the living room for presents together. Santa and his elves left a huge stash of goodies on our fireplace and under the tree, so we must have been playing host to some well-behaved children.

Some pictures of everyone enjoying themselves:


Chris requested that he be able to make our Christmas meal. He also requested a liberal budget. The man wanted to try out a recipe for prime rib. I would've been crazy to stop him. To compliment his chosen entrée he baked mushroom and wild rice stuffing, and he whipped up my holiday favorite-- his crock pot yams. I made the rolls, but the best thing on the table was the meat. I doubt he'll do it again anytime soon, but it was a definite success. I'm thinking he should open a restaurant if this whole epidemiologist thing doesn't work out.

We did other things during that week, but I can't quite remember what. I know we saw the dancing Christmas light display at a local landscape business, played lots of games, and let the children run wild.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Can't believe how much Cora's changed in the last 5months-so neat to see next to your Easter post!