Friday, August 20, 2010

Livin' in an Amish Paradise

Our family made a trip out to Shady Maple Smorgasbord one afternoon to gorge ourselves on their massive buffet. I remember the days when my brothers would have competitions to see who could wolf down the most plates. The food tasted so good while they were consuming it, but they'd always walk away from lunch so full and uncomfortable. And it's a 40 minute car ride to get back home.

One time Mark wasn't feeling so well as we were loading into the car, so Eric pretended to take a paper cup out of his pretend shirt pocket and said, "If you have to spew, spew in this." Does anyone else remember that movie quote?

It was so hilarious at the time, the moment has stuck with me. I laughed so hard that I almost puked on the pavement. (Sorry, that story really doesn't have anything to do with this post.) There weren't any eating competitions this time, but we all enjoy the local food and left pleasantly full. I finished my meal off with a whoopie pie and a glass of birch beer. Oh, the memories. . .

Ally and Cora quickly succumbed to sleep on the drive back home. I didn't think they'd eaten enough to fall into a post-consumption stupor, but I was grateful for the chance to explore the countryside. My Mom and I took a little detour on some back roads and re-found a few covered bridges. Chris and I enjoy taking pictures of scenery but since having kids, that luxury has gone by the wayside. This was a rare opportunity to photograph my surrounding in peace.


"Corn.
Corn. Corn Corn.
Corn Corn Corn Corn.
Corn Corn Corn. Corn Corn.
Corn Corn. Corn. Corn Corn Corn. Corn Corn Corn Corn. Corn Corn . ."


When we were younger, that's what Mark used to say while we traveled down the road. He'd start in with his repetitive statements whenever he saw some growing-- and it grows everywhere. Such torture! And then I'd get yelled at for telling him to stop. Such added torture! I dreaded corn-growing season.

No comments: