Monday, August 16, 2010

Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot-Diggity Dog

July 5, 2010


Chris flew back to Washington very early on Monday-- had some lame excuse about having to work or something-- so that left me husbandless for the remainder of the trip. The kids had another photo shoot, and then we stopped by the Wilbur Chocolate Factory to get some tasty local sweets. Nothing like consoling your bruised heart with a handful of chocolate-- except maybe revenge. To teach him a lesson for abandoning us, I made the trip into Philadelphia (Chris' favorite city) to watch the Phillies (Chris' favorite sports team) play ball.


Since it was July 5th, they were still celebrating our country and all of the freedoms we've been so blessed to have as Americans. Before the game started, members of all branches of the armed forces helped unfurl this massive flag on the field. They played patriotic songs and honored veterans from all the major conflicts over the past decades. Talk about giving you goosebumps of gratitude!


This was Cora's second Phillies game, but it was her first at Citizens Bank Park. Because our seats started the evening in the scorching sunlight, I gave her a VIP walking tour of the park (I walked, she rode). I took her to see a Fanatic replica, perused Ashburn Alley, got her a "first game" certificate from guest services, and showed her where the rich people get to sit in the shade behind home plate. We took lots of pictures so we could brag to Daddy later.

We even got this photo with a random guy who came to the game dressed as a hotdog. I wanted so badly to ask if he was wearing anything under his bun, but I couldn't. I didn't want to run the risk of sounding flirty-- especially in front of his girlfriend who took the pic-- but I really was curious. I mean it was a REALLY hot night and all. . .

Once the sun went down after the third inning (and we were no longer at risk for a sunburn) we returned to our budget seat on the third tier, forth section over by the yellow foul pole. I can spot Mark, Courtney, Eric, Amy, and my Dad if I click and zoom in. Can you see them? I'll give you a hint-- they're all wearing red.

Cora seemed to enjoy herself at the game, especially when I fed her the bun from my hotdog. (Fun fact: the hotdog man is holding the free hotdog he got for dressing like a hotdog.) Cora stayed awake for all nine innings, so I'd say she's a true fan. I guess her Daddy really is raising her right.

No comments: