Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Day of the Rest of Her School Life

Maybe I'll blog sometime about her experiences thus far at school. (And, maybe I won't.) But I can't wait any longer to show Grandma (and the world) just how cute and excited Allyson looked on her first Kindergarten day.

Cora and I accompanied her to the door of her classroom that very first Monday. She walked right in, found her name on a hook, and proudly hung up her backpack and lunch box. She acknowledged her teacher with a hello hug, and then she ran off to a table to play with a new classmate. And thus began Allyson's schooling career. . .

Did I mention the part where she hugged me good-bye, said "see you later", blew me a kiss, or waved as I walked away? Oh, that's right-- those things never happened. Ally is such a pro at being independent! For a split-second I was offended, but then I immediately counted my blessings. Being ignored by a confident and excited kid is way better than having to console a bawling, frightened and heart-broken child in the hallway while trying to choke back your own emotional tears.

And, for the record, I didn't end up crying as had been predicted. I calmly turned my back on Ally's classroom and walked away. Then Cora and I ducked into the cafeteria and had ourselves a celebratory doughnut. I miss my big shadow, but I'm definitely not alone. My little monkey will still be following me around for the next couple of years.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Your commentary is hilarious! And yes count that as a blessing!

ashley said...

you are very lucky to have a confident daughter!! what an exciting time for your family. hope you are enjoying your new home!!