Sunday, September 4, 2011

August Adventures, Part III

Ally got her third haircut ever, and this was the first one that wasn't just a trim. As Ally explained when she asked me to take her, "I need my hair to be cut so it won't keep getting in the way when I wipe my butt." I couldn't really argue with that statement, so her hair is now 3 inches shorter and lacking some curl. Cora still hasn't had a haircut yet, but she wanted her picture taken too.

We rode the bus out to the county fair at the end of the month. Cora was very apprehensive about being around so many animals. The first animal building we explored was filled with guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, geese, and turkeys. She didn't want to walk down the aisles of cages at first, but she eventually gained enough courage to pet four bunny rabbits. That proved to be her most favorite part.

The other barns seemed to be too noisy and overwhelming for Cora with all the larger animals and their Moos, Baaas, and La-La-Las. For one brief second though, Cora forgot her fears and reached out to pet a cow. She quickly regretted that decision.

Ally told me she knew which pigs were boys and which were girls. Thinking she had seen an anatomical difference in the animals similar to humans, I asked how she figured out their respective genders. I was expecting a response like the little boy on Kindergarten Cop who said, "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina." What I got was: "The boy pigs only have one earring, but the girls have two." Well, I guess that works for a 4-year-old, although the logic isn't so accurate.
Ally loved seeing the animals and walking through the other exhibits. She got a temporary tattoo, learned about seeds, collected stickers, picked up her traditional KGH punch balloon, looked at photographs, critiqued the home-grow veggies, and listened to a 4-H presentation on show-horse abuse entitled "The Price of Beauty".

We had a hard time deciding what to eat for dinner. We must not crave greasy, fatty, batter-dipped, fair foods like we used to, or at least we're better at controlling ourselves. We finally settled on a lemonade and an elephant ear for a snack. I'm glad we only ordered one ear, 'cause the four of us were barely able to finish it together. We ended our fair excursion with a private bus ride back to Richland and then dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

No comments: